Thursday, September 17, 2009

hongkong part 1

It was August 4, 2009; I left my house for Hong Kong and arrived at S.F.O with the help of my mom's antique friend. On the plane I felt like I knew I would be there in 13 hours but the wait was slow and tiring. When I arrived, I felt super tired because i only slept 2 hours in those horrible compact airplane chairs. I looked out the window and saw heavy rain that told me that the trip would rain a lot during this hurricane season. My mom had been previously nagging me that we could have gone to Hong Kong earlier if not my summer school, which I quit after one week. When we found a telephone booth, we used our hkd to call my uncle that lives in Causeway Bay. My uncle told us were the taxi cabs were and we eventually found the car after a few long roads.
The taxi guy was short, grey hair, skinny, and was wearing shorts that seemed new. He had the tipical attitude of a taxi driver and was always on the phone. He quickly got our luggages, dumped them in the trunk, we got in the taxi and he started the meter of 15 hkd. This guy was quite mad at us, asking us questions like why did it take so long, where are you from, is this your first time here, and do u guys know Chinese? We answered the first question because there was a minor delay and said he came too early because the flight arrival was 7 p.m and he was there at 6:30. We told him that we are from America, is it our third time in Hong Kong, my mom said she is from the Philippines and we did infact know Chinese, Cantonese. In between all this questioning, he kept bothering us with the fact, time is money for him and we made him wait. After the ride, we ended up at my grandma's sister's house at Happy View Terrace, with a feeling that we did something wrong, but the fact that there was a delay wasn't our fault.

1 comment:

  1. OK, Nathan. Here's my question. When you're telling a story like this, which details are important to leave in, and which aren't? This feels like you just wrote whatever you remembered about your trip, as soon as it came into your head. But it doesn't seem to me that the taxi driver's shorts, for example, have much bearing on the main point of your story, which is to talk about your whole trip. So think next week about what to LEAVE OUT to make your story get to the point more clearly.

    ReplyDelete