Wednesday, October 19, 2011

[Free] the art of strings



not my machine , this one is ~$3500






Last summer I started learning the art of tennis stringing. I bought a Eagnas crank machine from my tennis buddy Ron for $90 which has become part of my room. For a beginner, the process of giving life to a racket can be quite annoying, frustrating, time consuming yet awarding at the same time. Patience is a something important that you need to have in order to accomplish this task.


There are two main types of stringing a two piece and a one piece. The three piece is for those professional hobby stringers. I was taught the two piece by my friend Terrence. A two piece means that you use two different strings for that mains and crosses. While the one piece uses the same string for the mains and crosses, you loop around after you finish the mains. I learned that rackets with 16x19 string patterns are good for hybrid while rackets with 16x18 is not good for hybrids.

Unfortunately I messed up stringing at least 10 times already. A few times I didnt flare a hole on a new racket, leading me to waste a set of strings. Sometimes i chose the wrong hole or forgot to skip after the 6th and 7th main. And another time i didnt know that some specific string patterns need one piece jobs. . . . Mains usually are less strings than crosses because there are more crosses. Through constant practice, I learned what not to do during stringing a racket and what to do. Without rackets to practice on, I would not be able to string a racket in around 40 minutes, it used to take me 2 hours. O.o

No comments:

Post a Comment