Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tennis tryouts

Yesterday , February 8th was the first day of tryouts for varsity. People that dont get into varsity but are still dedicated get to practice in junior varsity. I went into the courts, dumped my jacket and backpack on the benches then strolled back to the main building for my racket. On the way i saw people that said," hey isnt it tryouts today??" I got a few good lucks here and there, making the day feel very positive. I walked back into the courts and heard the captain of the varsity team announce what we were going to do. " Hit forehands, backhands and volleys were the first things to tryout."

I went up to the baseline waiting in line, then it was my turn. Kyle fed the ball and it bounced somewhat high. I hit the ball with moderate topspin down wide. The freshman and former junior varsity repeated this drill for about half an hour, rotating from forehands to backhands to volleying. When we were done, i was partnered up with Jeremy to play doubles. I thought that this win would be very crucial for tryouts, making me very nervous.

In the set, we lost the first game but won overall by 6-2. The main points of the match that i remembered was that i aced a whole entire service game, and the opponent guy in gray double faulted a whole entire service game. My junior varsity buddy from last year lost his doubles match, but his match was much more intense than ours. After this win, i was assigned to play doubles with Nick, a varsity player, against another varsity / newcomer pair. This match was even more nervous than the one before. Rain was the object that saved me from causing my partner and i to lose the match. We left that day at 5pm, tryouts to continue on the next dry day . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment